A Daily Photo site (Mon - Fri)

Share in the scenic beauty and attractions of KwaZulu Natal's Midlands ....

A shared photo site


(CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE IT)


Friday, May 13, 2011

Striped ...

I didn’t have to go too far to get today’s image – in fact no further than the edge of my front garden! I am fortunate enough to live in an eco-leisure estate and the grounds are populated with a variety of wildlife. They’re all classified as non-predatory, but don’t try telling that to the sapling King Protea bush that was transformed down to a leafless stump overnight. Zebras also roam equally freely in the neighbouring (and publicly accessible) uMngeni Nature Reserve along with giraffe, warthogs and many species of buck.
I have always understood the herds of zebra prevalent in most regions of the country to be of the Burchell’s variety and was not aware of the controversy about this name until recently. The facts are well documented on Wikipaedia, so I won’t repeat them here, but it’s an interesting (if confusing) story. Zebras are of course Africa’s best known species of the horse family. A dictionary I have had since my youth, and which due to its now politically incorrect title cannot be named, translated the word Zebra into a pseudo-African language known as fanagalo (=like this) as lo donkey funagalo football-jersey. That describes these beautiful creatures quite aptly (and they do sport the team colours of the much supported local rugby team).
I really didn’t have to do much to get this clear and close shot – these particular animals, although not truly domesticated are used to being in close human proximity. Heck, I could even count the eyelashes! I’m priviledged!

No comments:

Post a Comment