A Daily Photo site (Mon - Fri)

Share in the scenic beauty and attractions of KwaZulu Natal's Midlands ....

A shared photo site


(CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE IT)


Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Firelight ...

How dramatically the views of the mountains can change!!! From the snows of  last week we had the sky glowing red with a massive fire on the very same mountain slopes to the west of Howick last night. In the space of a mere hour the flames flared, spread, and passed - but at their height they gave the dark night skyline an appearance I imagine akin to an erupting volcano. I hope there was no serious damage to forests or to life - the day's news reports will no doubt tell, but in the meantime here is the drama of it all. Midlands life is full of surprises.
I should have used a tripod to stabilise the camera for this shot, but as so often happens I was afraid that losing time in setting it up would have meant the moment may have passed. I did get one out and the fear proved to be true - by the time I was ready to shoot again the flames had mostly moved over the crest of the mountain, and the tepid images that followed are not worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment