A Daily Photo site (Mon - Fri)

Share in the scenic beauty and attractions of KwaZulu Natal's Midlands ....

A shared photo site


(CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE IT)


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Frosted Drops ...

It has been cold these past few days. Many locals have commented how this is the first midyear in recent times that we have really had a winter, so mild have been the winter months for some number of years. And so it was quite something for me to brave the early morning to get out to photograph some nearby falls. Having tried in the afternoon, it was evident that to get the right lighting for a particular waterfall I’d need to be there in the early morning – and with my not really being a morning kind of person it took some doing and willpower. I made it, but it did mean braving the early morning frosts which in places leave the open grasslands looking almost as if snow has fallen. Amongst all the frost burned leaves and plants the beauty of some specimens is all the more noticeable such as these strikingly beautiful pea flowers. I’m no botanical authority but suspect they are examples of the polygala family. As the morning sun battled to warm the cold morning air the frozen dewdrops settled on the flora had started to thaw, resulting in jewelled highlights on the colourful blooms. It made my braving the winter chills (some two degrees) worthwhile.
Again using the zoom macro scene setting on the camera, the detail I needed was possible with a great field depth effect defocusing the background. I’m pleased with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment